Friday, September 2, 2011

INDONESIA: Mission Trip 2011 Day III (iii)

Here is the third (last) part of the mission series numero trois! I'm sorry it's been so long since I last posted the previous episode of my mission trip series. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the following post :-).

Click here for pt. i
Click here for pt. ii

Part iii
After Malanggaten, we visited an orphanage called "Anak Seribu Pulau" in Karanganyar, Surakarta, which is also one of the constituents of Ibu Mary's organization, Yayasan Nafiri Kasih (YANAKA). Before I even got out of the car when we arrived, this one particular child was standing near the car and said, "Halo, kakak." At first I could not recall who he was by looking at his face. I then spotted Moris and was reminded of the children I had met at the kindergarten school, Tunas Bangsa, in Pucang Sawit. Apparently some of the kids at Tunas Bangsa live in the orphanage. I was beyond thrilled to see them again!
At the orphanage, there were many kids. What struck me was the fact that a portion of these children still have parents; they just aren't here or are unable to take care of them, mostly due to harsh financial circumstances. It was truly amazing and a humbling experience to witness their mundane living environment, yet these children are living with such zeal, joy, and happiness. Not to mention they looked very healthy and well-fed. By visiting these places, God opened up my heart and mind to realize that I have a passion for children, indeed.

Visit Anak Seribu Pulau blog here!




Dorm room

Kak Telly, Kak Maria, Pak Wincuk + the crew

At the orphanage, I met a wonderful girl named Dita (pictured below). She quickly became one of my inspirations. If I'm not mistaken, she suffers from a disease known as Poliomyelitis or polio for short.

If you you'd be so kind of put up with me, I'd like to briefly share a bit of information about this illness. Polio is a viral, contagious disease which attacks the nervous system and is capable of causing an eventual paralysis. It is caused by an infectious virus called the Poliovirus. Polio cannot be treated; the only way to prevent it is through immunization. Because this disease mainly targets children under the age of 5, it is crucial to receive polio immunization during one's early years of childhood. I remember being so excited to get mine done because it was the only vaccine which did not include a syringe and/or needle. To learn more about polio, click here. Indonesia is only one Asian country out of many that are highly susceptible to this disease. In 2005, there was an outbreak of polio in Indonesia, and as a result, millions of Indonesian children were immunized to halt further dissemination.

Dita and me
Initially, I saw a girl walking with a limp. This poignant image caught my heart. I immediately asked one of my mission friends to take a picture of us because I knew this girl is surely someone who would have a potential to change my life forever. (I'm writing this with a heavy heart and near-teary-eyes, please bear with me). She seemed shy and sweet and cute, just like any other normal girl you would meet. Once I conversed with her and got to know her more, I discovered that she is one of the children at the orphanage who have not a clue of their parents' existence. There and then, my heart shattered into myriad pieces. I am hoping that God will let me return to this orphanage next year during another of my trip to Indonesia, so I could see Dita and be astonished by how much she has progressed over the year.


Tabitha and Kak Ester

Outside view of the building

Group picture

Another group picture

In the evening, Kak Ester, Kak Elyda, and I went to the house of a senior member of our church (Mbah = 'grandmother' in Javanese language) for a weekly community gathering or cell group. We were accompanied by the bible school students, as well.

There were about 6 Mbah's, but one is not in the picture because she couldn't move around much


What surprised me most was how keen and enthusiastic these grandmas were in praising and worshipping the Lord. They're fairly old, but they definitely are not your average grandmas. Their fire for Christ was so palpably enviable, as they were overflowed by the Holy Spirit. When it was time for me to share, I told them how I wish that I will turn out like them when I grow up – blessedly encouraged and confident in Jesus.




These Mbahs are the hippest!

Just when I thought this day could not get any better and more inspirational, I met Mbah Mujio. We went to visit her abode following our cell group. Her entire right side (i.e. arm, hand, leg) has been paralyzed as the repercussion of stroke. While the three of us were praying for her, God's presence was so strong and it swiftly swept through us. I was suddenly overwhelmed by His love and my tears involuntarily gushed out of my eyes. I tried to hold back my tears, but I couldn't. At that moment, I was no longer in charge of my emotions. God had taken full control. As I was praying for her, I held her hand and felt her heart breaking in solidarity with mine.



Please excuse my post-teared up eyes


Despite all of her problems, especially her permanent illness, Mbah Mujio stays ever faithful to God and is absolutely diligent in doing her day-to-day devotions. To this day, no doubt she is one of my biggest inspirations.

I am TREMENDOUSLY blessed to have been given the chance to participate in this mission trip. In the beginning, I was very frustrated and distressed from all the chaotic havoc in preparation for our daily activities. However, this trip has definitely opened my eyes and given me the refreshment that I desperately needed.



**[UPDATED]**

3rd lesson of the day, 3rd day lesson: GOD'S FAITHFULNESS
"If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot disown himself." ~ 2 Timothy 2:13

LESSON 3 (iii): God stays faithful, even when we are not.

What else says 'perfect faith' other than that of His own? Today has taught me that God's faithfulness to us does not have an expiry date. Often times we would stray from the course God has placed us in. We would walk away until we can no longer see the little road marked out for us. We would neglect God's calls for our return. We would ignore the snaps of his fingers, the touch of his interventions, and the desolate sound of His longing to retain us. Why? Because we are human. We are curious beings who like to wander about and set the course for ourselves.
Any normal person would solemnly leave and concede to defeat for their futile efforts, which have only prompted hard-rock rejections from the one they love most. But not our Jesus. He stoically stays in one place – and continues to do so in the exact same spot – unmoved, as if fettered. Jesus, the Lord our God, is CHAINED to be faithful to us, performers of infidelity and wanderers of life, because He CHOOSES to do so!
God and the definition of faithfulness have integrated and are bound in one element: LOVE.
God is faithful because He loves. God is love, thus He is faithful. And this great faithfulness, it reaches to the skies (Psalm 36:5). He could not retract His characteristic, otherwise He would be denying Himself.

Even when we are left without faith, God remains faithful. His love never fades with time, as ours usually does. He is compassionate, forgiving, patient, and understanding. His grace is abundant and His mercies are new every morning.
Thank You for Your faithfulness, Jesus. Thank You for being the Hope that defies all doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.